To give credit where it's due, let me tell you that the idea of writing a travel diary occurred to me after reading Ravi's blog. Of course, I was also inspired in no small way by my railway trips to and from Delhi, over the weekend.
The journey had every sign of being a crappy one, when my waiting list ticket wasn't confirmed. Fortunately, I remembered someone told me that a guy from Metallurgy was also going to Delhi on that day. So I made a few inquiries, in the hope that this guy would have had more foresight than me and booked his ticket much earlier or at least had the prudence to pay a little extra for a tatkal ticket. Unfortunately, such maturity can't be expected from an ITian and least of all from a Meta guy (No offense people, but even you know it’s true!). So after a few phone calls, I found that this person whom everyone referred to as "Khandu" too was without a seat. I have never been in such a situation before where I didn't have a seat so I went over to the nearest TT and asked him if someone with a wait list ticket could board the train. His reply was that I could but I wasn't entitled to a berth. His exact words were “no berth only Earth", and then he looked around to see if someone else had also heard what I am sure he considered to be the smartest thing he had ever said. Alas, amid the random kinesis at the railway station I was his sole audience. He looked hopefully at me expecting to be congratulated on his impromptu wit but I was in no mood to laud such a wannabe prose.
I decided to look at the seating charts randomly in the hope of finding someone whom I knew. My luck was in and I found that a senior who lived in my hostel was the occupant of berth 9 in S1. He graciously offered me his seat and I called Khandu to tell him that he too could come over and share the berth. After sharing a Maharaja Mac and a Veg Surprise with Piyush Puri(the senior) we began to talk. The string "world war", came up in casual conversation and a short, slender, bearded person sitting in front of us sprang into attention like a schoolboy smacked on the butt with the drill master's cane.
His opening remarks were a redefinition of world war and claims that the two world wars described in history weren't the real world wars. Piyush and I nodded instinctively (the instinct, no doubt has been developed as a result of classes in IT) in the hope that some acknowledgment would shut him up. Unfortunately this was just the encouragement that he needed and he settled down comfortably to share his viewpoints further. Piyush and I tried ignoring him, turning away, conversing amongst ourselves, pretending to be sleepy but this idiot just didn't get the message. When the weirdo began talking about some deep rooted conspiracies I played my trump card of putting on my earphones. Once my earphones were on, he decided to increase his volume and in between Zepplin and Smash Mouth I heard him deny the existence of Hitler. Piyush at the time had his head in his hands and the look of a trapped man.
When Khandu showed up in our coach after about two hours of the journey (he had apparently been offered a seat in S4 and I assume that after a while they decided to give him the boot) Piyush seemed to be half asleep and suffering a headache (and I really don't think he was pretending), the nutty professor was still going strong. As if to greet the newest member of his audience he reached into a large carry bag and whipped out a pamphlet titled "Vishwa Kranti", his bag was filled only with copies of such pamphlets. He extended it to me and I turned it over once and returned it with fake praise. He then began a sermon of how science is a lie and scientists are busy covering this to maintain their social positions. At least by now a couple of other people had shown interest in his unconventional views and I was off the hook.
When Khandu and I came back after a brief foray at the Allahabad station Piyush seemed to have shaken off the ill effects of listening to a few hours of total bullshit and the three of us sat down for dinner. The revolutionary by now had a sizable audience and even at a few minutes past ten, no one was asleep in our compartment. Khandu seized the opportunity and laid down on a vacant berth. Piyush and I did the same. When at about 2.00 AM someone told Khandu to get lost in very clear terms, I advised him to go and share a berth with Ajit, a friend of mine who had boarded the train at Kanpur.
When I woke up in the morning, the psycho, now fully refreshed, was preparing to launch another attack of words. I decided to go say hi to Ajit, primarily to get away from the ceaseless random babbling in my compartment. As soon as Ajit saw me he told me that a he had a close encounter of the homosexual kind last night. Khandu apparently went to him at 2 in the night and very bluntly stated “I want to sleep with you”. Believe me, I am not paraphrasing! Ajit obviously misinterpreted that (who wouldn’t?) and told Khandu to stay away in a very panicky tone. As far as the story goes Khandu then returned wondering what he had done wrong and spent the rest of the night sitting on an occupied berth in our compartment.
The train was delayed by an hour and this gave the unusually energetic orator the time to describe his plans for political reshuffling. He said that athletes should run the country and Tendulkar should be Prime Minister. He also told us that he was going to deliver a seminar in Delhi and invited everyone to attend. When the train crawled into New Delhi Railway Station and we were readying to get off the bearded man asked us very matter of factly “Bhaiya, Kya lagta hai Manmohan Singh mujhe jawab de sakte hain?”
The journey had every sign of being a crappy one, when my waiting list ticket wasn't confirmed. Fortunately, I remembered someone told me that a guy from Metallurgy was also going to Delhi on that day. So I made a few inquiries, in the hope that this guy would have had more foresight than me and booked his ticket much earlier or at least had the prudence to pay a little extra for a tatkal ticket. Unfortunately, such maturity can't be expected from an ITian and least of all from a Meta guy (No offense people, but even you know it’s true!). So after a few phone calls, I found that this person whom everyone referred to as "Khandu" too was without a seat. I have never been in such a situation before where I didn't have a seat so I went over to the nearest TT and asked him if someone with a wait list ticket could board the train. His reply was that I could but I wasn't entitled to a berth. His exact words were “no berth only Earth", and then he looked around to see if someone else had also heard what I am sure he considered to be the smartest thing he had ever said. Alas, amid the random kinesis at the railway station I was his sole audience. He looked hopefully at me expecting to be congratulated on his impromptu wit but I was in no mood to laud such a wannabe prose.
I decided to look at the seating charts randomly in the hope of finding someone whom I knew. My luck was in and I found that a senior who lived in my hostel was the occupant of berth 9 in S1. He graciously offered me his seat and I called Khandu to tell him that he too could come over and share the berth. After sharing a Maharaja Mac and a Veg Surprise with Piyush Puri(the senior) we began to talk. The string "world war", came up in casual conversation and a short, slender, bearded person sitting in front of us sprang into attention like a schoolboy smacked on the butt with the drill master's cane.
His opening remarks were a redefinition of world war and claims that the two world wars described in history weren't the real world wars. Piyush and I nodded instinctively (the instinct, no doubt has been developed as a result of classes in IT) in the hope that some acknowledgment would shut him up. Unfortunately this was just the encouragement that he needed and he settled down comfortably to share his viewpoints further. Piyush and I tried ignoring him, turning away, conversing amongst ourselves, pretending to be sleepy but this idiot just didn't get the message. When the weirdo began talking about some deep rooted conspiracies I played my trump card of putting on my earphones. Once my earphones were on, he decided to increase his volume and in between Zepplin and Smash Mouth I heard him deny the existence of Hitler. Piyush at the time had his head in his hands and the look of a trapped man.
When Khandu showed up in our coach after about two hours of the journey (he had apparently been offered a seat in S4 and I assume that after a while they decided to give him the boot) Piyush seemed to be half asleep and suffering a headache (and I really don't think he was pretending), the nutty professor was still going strong. As if to greet the newest member of his audience he reached into a large carry bag and whipped out a pamphlet titled "Vishwa Kranti", his bag was filled only with copies of such pamphlets. He extended it to me and I turned it over once and returned it with fake praise. He then began a sermon of how science is a lie and scientists are busy covering this to maintain their social positions. At least by now a couple of other people had shown interest in his unconventional views and I was off the hook.
When Khandu and I came back after a brief foray at the Allahabad station Piyush seemed to have shaken off the ill effects of listening to a few hours of total bullshit and the three of us sat down for dinner. The revolutionary by now had a sizable audience and even at a few minutes past ten, no one was asleep in our compartment. Khandu seized the opportunity and laid down on a vacant berth. Piyush and I did the same. When at about 2.00 AM someone told Khandu to get lost in very clear terms, I advised him to go and share a berth with Ajit, a friend of mine who had boarded the train at Kanpur.
When I woke up in the morning, the psycho, now fully refreshed, was preparing to launch another attack of words. I decided to go say hi to Ajit, primarily to get away from the ceaseless random babbling in my compartment. As soon as Ajit saw me he told me that a he had a close encounter of the homosexual kind last night. Khandu apparently went to him at 2 in the night and very bluntly stated “I want to sleep with you”. Believe me, I am not paraphrasing! Ajit obviously misinterpreted that (who wouldn’t?) and told Khandu to stay away in a very panicky tone. As far as the story goes Khandu then returned wondering what he had done wrong and spent the rest of the night sitting on an occupied berth in our compartment.
The train was delayed by an hour and this gave the unusually energetic orator the time to describe his plans for political reshuffling. He said that athletes should run the country and Tendulkar should be Prime Minister. He also told us that he was going to deliver a seminar in Delhi and invited everyone to attend. When the train crawled into New Delhi Railway Station and we were readying to get off the bearded man asked us very matter of factly “Bhaiya, Kya lagta hai Manmohan Singh mujhe jawab de sakte hain?”

8 comments:
i guess dere r more than jst one amitji around. he sure wud understand the prof's pov. I might have found your professor character too unreal but for him.
train is the most happening places of all... u can find every type of human specie there... guys like this man are very commonly found in the train... almost in every compartment... the most amazing thing about the thread was the 'khandu and ajit confrontation'... ha ha ha... there should have been a video recording of that... ha ha ha ...
Wow..your journey must have been over in a jiffy. Such a man who denies Hitler and science and says that athletes should be the running the country is a rare breed; really extreme viewpoints.
Superb man.. I juz want to meet that revolutionary;).. Seemed some sense to me.. ha ha ha... One suggestion to you.. whenever u go to delhi.. NEVER BOOK A CONFIRMED TICKET COZ THESE TYPES OF THINGS R THE REAL JOY OF TRAVELLING RATHER THAN THE BORING STUFF BEING SEATED AT ONE PLACE;).. I travel by flight but there the excitement is in airport.. like once one of ma friend was alongwith me.. a real prankster so he was like juz adding fuel to fire juz by irking the already over stressed security guards there.. First he cleared the security check.. and then he juz for no reason winks at me and says wow! that machine never noted the detonator in ma pocket;).. ha ha ha.. And the body language with wic he said that and the tone like as if trying to conceal something.. was juz enough to raise ne1's doubt;) and he had purposely told that juz for fun in full view of all those security guards.. Immidiately a flurry of walkie talkie wielding security guards caught hold of this guy n started searching this dude physically but he was least perturbed and infact was acting serious and was saying "hey sambhalke it will blast.." ha ha ha.. And for a sec. all those really backed off a bit..:) and resumed searching.. and ultimately nothing was found.. I was holding my tummy n laughing like anything.. So all other passengers there seeing this were juz laughing.. and this guy was on the contrary scolding those authorities that u people juz search the wrong person while people really carrying those stuff do sneak in;)... and this comment of his had many supporters from public.. ha ha ha.. So such things do put in some sorta zing into our life.. Now one more incident.. like when we all were in college (muz admitt really missing those fun-filled, prank filled days;)..) we used to come back home on long weekends.. ie. when sat or mon was a holiday.. So there is one south indian friend of mine.. Mr. Shetty.. so he is a rolli-polli type of person.. a cute fatso.. but real tough n strong as well.. Ofcourse presently he is well-set in his own business and we all friends tease him by calling him-- Crorepati Ganapati..;). ha ha ha.. he is a mast personality.. So once shetty n I had decided to go to our homes on holidays.. but due to late night timings.. bus was more convinient.. coz the last train out was in the evenings.. and our sorta friends union party ended late at night;).. So for the train we wud have had to wait till the next morning.. so we juz decided to use the night time to cover distance.. All volvo buses n normal luxury buses were gone so late at night.. so the only option was the pitiable state transport buses.. but we decided to go for it.. as eventhough at 1.30am we can atleast board some bus.. and then we can be assured that the next day morning we will reach our destination.. So we boarded one.. Now unlike the seats of Volvo coaches, these state transport buses have small 2x2 seats.. so being smart I told shetty.. "Dekh bhai, mein tere saath tho nahi baitunga.. so better stand seperate in ticket q.." so then the seats were juz like that we had different tickets one behind the other.. It was a computer reservation system and the bus was non stop.. ie no conductor in that bus.. and the bus wud now stop directly at the last stop.. ie. the destination.. Shetty's funda was simple.. he wud juz catch hold of the window seat and he was safe;).. the other guy who wud sit next to him.. had the priviliage of having juz 25% of the seat.. while on the remaining 75% shetty wud dominate;).. So then the bus was full and it started moving.. Now it was already night and shetty was juz asleep as soon as the bus moved out of the depo.. may be it had more to do with 4 beer bottles wic we had in the party juz before leaving.. but the poor guy who sat next to him was juz not being able 2 sleep.. he wud juz fall asleep but almost immdl. he would slide off the seat and almost fall down.. I was juz giggling seeing this scene.. but can't help it.. Afterall I was not mahatma gandhi to allow him have ma seat;).. He wud immdl. balance himself and then reposition himself.. and then again he wud fall asleep and the same thing.. I don't remember when I fell asleep smiling all the way.. but the next morning as soon as I got up.. I found that hunk well awake looking at shetty wit some discomfort.. I again started gigling..:).. I knew there wud be a fight as soon as shetty wakes up.. coz this chap looked quite a hot tempered kinda guy and was strong too and as for our shetty he juz loves panga;).. So juz was keeping ma fingers crossed.. So almost at 9.30am shettysaab ki neendh kuli:).. looked back and greeted me wit a gud morning.. and then almost surprisingly that man who sat next to him.. smiled and told shetty that the next time u travel then you better take two tickets instead of one.. On this I thought this guy turned out to be a cool one.. he hit out but with brains, he had his point wit a dig at shetty;).. and a suggestion too.. but before I cud intervene, even our shetty posed a big smile (the biggest ever I had seen him flashing to a stranger) and replied politely.. "Boss I don't have any problem travelling with one ticket.. I slept well throughout the night.. and I am no saint to do social work.. so it was you who were feeling uncomfortable so the next time you travel, be sure to get two tickets urself.. so that u can sleep well.. coz I am happy with one ticket and I have no problems with it.." So saying he chuckled.. making us know that he too knew about that poor chap's discomfort during the night:). and I don't know whether it was a correct response or not but don't know what that man may be thinking.. Though it made ma journey a smile filled (or rather giggle filled)one..:) So that man juz kept mum for the next of the journey.. wic lasted for around an hour more..:)and I told shetty to slim down a bit in national interest:)... So all these things do leave certain memories.. like its best to travel via public mode of transport if u r alone or wit friends and its better to use more sophisticated mode of transport when you are with family or going on some specific serious tasks.. Oops! this has been a big post.. almost an article in itself;).. Anywayz enjoyed the article.. as real incidents like these are more enjoyable than philosopical thoughts..:).. he he.. Tk cr.. n keep up da gud work....
@ Neeraj
The best part about the Khandu thing was that after he had offended Ajit he actually tried to calm him down by telling him that he(Khandu) was from IT. This scared Ajit even more.
He told me the next morning that "Abe yaar IT mein itna kuch dekh chuke hain ki hamari to g***d hi f*t gayi."
Wow Viresh! That's a mega comment. Thanks for sharing these wonderful anecdotes!
Hey Mags...Thanks for finally writing a post that I could relate to. Its unreal the sort of people one meets while traveling. I have a few little stories of my own... :)
Hi Swati,
I look forward to your stories on my next trip to Delhi.
Post a Comment